Thursday, March 3, 2011

update 2,352,225,089

Okay, well, maybe it's not that many posts, but it feels like.

Jim still in hospital. He has a staph infection in his blood. Not sure what kind. Anyway, yesterday he had an echocardiogram or something, and he kept waking up during it and it was horrible, poor guy. But the doc called me in and showed me this vegetation that was flailing around as his valve opened and pumped blood...or sg like that. Anyway because the infection is in the heart, he will have to get a pic-line in his arm so that he can administer meds at home. He will need to be on antibiotic through IV for 6 weeks at home. (they better get him a home nurse.)

Now, the doc told me to hope that this antibiotic works because whether this is a new vegetation or an old one, his opinion is that it needs to be gone or it can break off and cause a stroke/death????I can't remember. I was in semi-shock. If the antibiotic doesn't work, the doc says that they would then normally replace the valve, but that with Jim's history, this isn't the way they would want to go, but they will if they have to. Jim says he doesn't want to do that because he would need to be on anti-rejection meds for a pig valve or something and he can't take those types of meds. That's what he was taking for the GVHD, and they cause the pain to sky rocket. So, here we are.

Now, there's a lot said here, but there is also a lot unknown here, and possibly some guessing. Like does one really need anti rejection meds with a replacement valve? Anyway, we ain't worrying about that now, are we, cause this antibiotic is going to do the trick, isn't it?

Jim is at Passavant, room 306. His spirits are good and so are mine. I mean, the final word is "we belong to the King of kings and Lord of lords. He's our daddy, and when this life here is all said and done, whether sooner or later, that's pretty sweet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my...

praying for antibiotics to work and a home nurse!

vegetation? what a bizarre term...

praying for you, and I agree that it is good to know that God is good...in spite of everything.

Love you,
K

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and praying for Jim's healing. God Bless you both.
Maddy

Judy said...

I think it is update 2,352,225,088, but who's counting...
We love you and appreciate you taking time to let us know how to pray! And praying we are!

God bless and keep you both in His Loving Arms,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Oh Gloria,

I haven't checked your blog since October. I thought you'd shut down the blog after your father passed away as I'd seen no post from you for months. Brian saw news from Jim on FB and I thought I'd check the blog again and here you guys have gone through so much and I haven't been able to pray specifically (although you both are often in our prayers). I got your wonderful and long e-mail and plan to respond soon. In the meantime, I pray Jim will be out of the hospital soon and that he will continue to "enjoy" level 6 (and better!) pain. I hear a lot of joy from you in your recent posts. I thank God for that!
Amy