Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas, New Years, The Rest of our Lives

Hi Everyone:

Christmas was good. I suppose I should report that it was the best Christmas ever. And it was. Even if it didn't feel like it was throughout it all.

Happy New Years. I suppose I should hope that it will be the best New Year ever. And maybe it will be. Even if it doesn't feel like it through it all.

Which leads me to the movie Groundhog Day. I feel like I am living it in a reversed order. Allow me to explain.

As the monotony of "Phil's" life plays havoc on his emotions, his forecast to Rita goes something like, this... "it will be cold and gray, and it's going to last you for the rest of your life."

The monotony continues over and over. The same day over and over and over, for months, possibly years, until Phil has an emotional/mental ephiphany that leads him to say, "When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter."

Jim's in the hospital. He has bronchitis. It happened that fast. Another hospital stay. Another co-pay. Another day.

After everything we have been through, and despite seeing God's love and his hand on our lives, I feel like the beginning of the movie. I feel bleak and bereft of hope of anything other than the monotony of a life of nothing but care taking. And it feels like it "will be cold and gray and it's going to last me the rest of my life."

Pray for Jim. Pray for me. Pray for the rapture or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gloria...

are you at Passavant? Do you want a visitor tomorrow? I could stop...or are you looking to keep the room utterly germ-free?

Let me know,
K