Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Boo Boos

Hi everyone:

Well, thank you so much for writing and letting me know you were praying for me. That has given me much encouragement. I'll bullet point all that has happened, as a shorter way for me to get it out there.

  • Kristen read the blog, and her husband is in physical therapy and has in the past packed wounds, so he came the following night. I felt I wasn't doing it right, and I wasn't, but I wasn't doing too bad either. Larry cleaned and packed the wound, and was quick. He then gave us instructions on what to tell the doctor, IF THE DOCTOR EVER CALLS US BACK. The wound was starting to tunnel, and this isn't good. Larry jammed that packing in there. It hurt, but it was good. The wound did not look good at all. He also told us to consider a wound care center at AGH.
  • I called the wound care center at AGH, can't get in until the end of the week. Called NIH, they will do it, but we want to look around here first, cause we would have to live down there for a while...again...no thanks.
  • I called Mercy hopt., and they didn't have an appt. until this Wednesday, and yet, here's how God worked. This nurse answers the phone. She's cold and stoic, and I'm nervous and rambling. She says the earliest is Wednesday, and I said, "Can I leave the packing that Larry put in there in there until Wednesday, and she that I couldn't, and I told her I just didn't know how to do it. It needed changed twice a day and Larry was willing to come every night, but what about the day. She said, bring him over and I'll do it.
  • She never smiled, seemed cold as ice, but was moved to take care of Jim's wound. Not only that, but she showed me how but said, "YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO DO THIS." Thank you for that validation. After the past 2 years, I know I can handle stuff, and I was doing this, but I was doing it wrong. So, it was good to hear that. Anyway, she said that she would do it if I couldn't, but if I felt I could, she gave me all the right material to do it. She didn't charge me. She didn't even take my insurance card.
  • So, today I am going to do it. It's hard for Jim to go somewhere, because often times that's all he can do for the day, so we hate to waste it on another doc visit. So, at 2:00, I am going to do it again. This will make it my 4th time, but I feel confident about doing it, but I am going to have to jam it into the corner that is closing off and that is going to hurt, so continue to pray for Jim.

She said that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to close up. So....I don't think I'll be putting up any lights this year. (wasn't going to anyway) NO CHRISTMAS CARDS EITHER....AWWWW, Now, I'm really disappointed. (yeah, right.) :> So, I'll keep updating all my prayer warriors out there. Thank you so much.

God works it all out. Some would say, "Yeah, well a better "work out" would be to not be in this position in the first place. But what if he's calling me help wounded people some day. I wouldn't be prepared. I just have to think of it that way sometimes. "Dear God, please don't call me to wounded people some day. I really stink at it. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is encouraging news... still no picnic in the park, but answered prayer certainly. Larry and Nurse Frosty were gifts from God weren't they. I love your perspective on all of it. Keep looking up. We love you and still pray...

Amy (for the Smiths)

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

You know what I love about you Gloria? Even after reading about this awful experience you and Jim are going through, in the last line of your post you write something that makes me laugh. This is almost an impossible feat! I'm so sad for what you have to deal with, but it is good to see God at work.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Love and Prayers

Kelly said...

I am so sorry to read about the last couple days... but so thankful that Larry was able to come help, and that the nurse is on hand if needed.

Praying for you both.

Kelly said...

PS... not sure if this is too out of the way or not, but Donnys dad has been going to the wound care center at USC for his heels after his stay in the hospital... and they seem to do a good job there. Maybe another option if the Wednesday appointment is too far away.