Tuesday, July 7, 2009

NIH or Bust

Yeah, so we're on our way tomorrow, again, to the NIH. Jim's tooth will be pulled (we hope), and we have to find out something to do about his neuropathy.

Talked to 2 women who volunteer at the Bone Marrow Biopsy Foundation. They called and I talked with them. It feels really good to talk to someone else who understands. Neither of them had it as bad as I or their husbands as bad as Jim, but at least they get it.

The one lady said, it's like a building fell on you. There will be people in your life who will expect you to get up and brush the dust off. And that I shouldn't expect to get up and brush the dust off. I loved that. She had a nervous breakdown a year after her husbands stem cell transplant. I don't want to go there. What exactly is a nervous breakdown???? The other lady said that when her husband was finished and cancer free, that several people in her family tsked tsked her for not feeling happy that her husband was healed. She wasn't sad, but she wasn't elated either. I told her I can relate with that, and she said that every care giver that she has ever talked to melted down once the patient was cancer free. I guess that makes sense.

Tonight it was weird. Jim and I were sitting on the porch and Jim's feet were purple. He got up and walked away, and the purple when away. I layed hands on him and prayed for a healing.

Oh, Jim's hair is getting curly in the back. He now has brown wavy hair.

Anyways, I hate that I have to drive down there again. sigh. Pray for our safety.

Us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gloria and Jim,

I'm glad you found some folks to talk with about what you've been through. I say there's a short hand with folks who have shared similar experiences with you. You don't have to explain every medical term, feeling, or prognosis. It's not that we mind explaining; it's just so nice to talk to someone who understands without explanation and has been there in some sense. We continue to pray for you here in Richmond.

Love to you both,
Amy and Brian

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for safe travels for you both...and less red tape than usual (if that's possible)!

Love,
K

Anonymous said...

Yes, you understand that one Amy. I have been thinking about you and your move and such. Any pics? Send some if you do.

I'm glad to hear that you made it "home" safely. Tell everyone we said hello.

Love Us

Thanks for your prayers.

I cried in the shower this morning. I so didn't want to leave my garden to have to drive down there again. I'm very weary. One of the things that was hard when I talked to those 2 women was to hear how much certain people helped them. Well, we're off. Gotta run. Thanks for still reading. I know I have prayer. :) That is the best thing.

Love Gloria

Anonymous said...

"The other lady said that when her husband was finished and cancer free, that several people in her family tsked tsked her for not feeling happy that her husband was healed. She wasn't sad, but she wasn't elated either."

I get it. There's a country western song "It sounds like life to me."

Having been donw this path, you know you might have to walk it again and so I think we "steel" ourselves to brace a possible blow. I don't think it's a good or bad thing... I just think it is. It's life. But, just the same, people who havn't been throught it can't imagine it and you really don't want them to have to imagine it or experience it, if they aren't fortunate enought to walk in the valley. Read Oswald Chambers for July 6th, Vision and Reality.

Still praying.
Maddy

Anonymous said...

Should have added the chorus on the song I mentioned "Sounds like life to me."
[Sounds like life to me, plain old destiny. Yeah, the only thing for certain is uncertainty. You gotta hold on tight, just enjoy the ride.. Get used to all this unpredictability. Sounds like life to me.]

Maddy

Anonymous said...

haven't heard that one, Maddy, but it sounds like a good one. :)

Gloria