Friday, March 20, 2009

Earl, GVHD, Cancer, etc.

Hi folks:



Okay, first things first.Jim:

  • does NOT have GVHD of the gut. This is very good news.
  • has NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE...yippie.

This means that Jim has been cancer free for 6 weeks or more. He called me early this morn. Woke me up, in fact. His doc said last night when he saw him in the hall. I'll be in your room to speak with you. And then he never came in. No wonder Jim was worried last night. And then Jim actually had to ask the doctor this morn. "So what did the PET scan say." Almost like the doctor expected us to expect that the cancer was still gone. Imagine that. No evidence of disease. That is sooooooooo sweet to hear.

Anyway. It's very hard to feel anything more than a bit excited. Not that I have a defeated mentality or anything, but as I've said.."My HOPE is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness....on solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. So, to hope in anything other than Jesus sort of spells disaster when I look back. He comes through, but not in the ways I've always anticipated. And yet, it's great to celebrate great things. So, I guess there is a bit of me not wanting to rock the boat....

One of Jim's fave nurses said. "Get strong and get to that cottage." Cottage heck. I'll be excited to get home. It's just real hard to get "excited" but it sure is nice. That's it. I'll call it nice.

And here's a pic of that fave nurse. She is wonderful, beautiful, a fellow sister in the Lord, and just one of the kindest, knowledgeable, friendliest nurses I've ever had the honor to know. If we lived close, we'd be friends, and I'ld babysit the children she doesn't have yet. She's taken very VERY good care of your brother, father, friend. Pray that she meets Mr. Right. I know she would like to meet him. I'm going to miss her.

Isn't she pretty.


Well, I guess it would be fun to go to the cottage too. I remember last fall when we closed it up, how terribly sad it was. How I cried and cried and cried. I remember our "last" golf cart ride. Well, as I said, it's hard to think forward that we'll have more years to do that. But it is kind of heart warming to hope that we'll get one more ride in, this side of heaven. And we're getting closer and closer to that chance. Thank you Lord.

Us

PS. Jim's hair is growing back. It's at that great stage where I can rub it and talk funny. Only the priviledged (choke, laugh gag) know what that sounds like....Huh, Rubs?

:)

PSS Fess up. Who is the "anonymous" that likes Earl and the Crabman?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased and excited for you!!!!

Prayers for continued healing...and for a return home soon!

We miss you in the 'Burgh!

K

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

Fessing up...
Who else would like that kind of silly humor. I love Randy and Joy, too.

Anonymous said...

That is good news but you are right. OUr hope is built on nothing less than Jesus. it seems if we get too excited about anything else we get an immediate kick reminiding us. Are you feeling all better? Have the cherry blossoms bloomed yet. I don't remember when they do that. Your nurse seems so nice too. We continue to pray for you daily and hope that before you know it you will be back in pittsburgh. I am actually going to try planting spices indoors so I can transplant them later and not be so far behond in the growing season. If I don't kill them all I'll give you some fresh spices. Not a big deal but little things can be quite nice.
WOW 6 weeks though pretty darn good:)
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Woooohoooo happy happy tears of joy yelling top of my lungs Thank You, Lord.

Jimbo that news best bday present I've ever gotten and these earrings Sister made. Thank You

What a morning I've had.

God Bless your fav nurse. Tell her I said thank you for taking good care of you Jim.

Jim gonna try call you this afternoon again.

love and miss you both

Anonymous said...

Must be a sign, such nice news bringing a lot of relief on the first day of Spring. :-)

Rachel said...

I'm so happy for you my friend. I pray that this good news is followed by more and more and more good news throughout the weeks, months, and LONG years of Jim's and your life together! I love you!

Rach

Anonymous said...

That is sweet news. And Jesus is the sweetest of all. You are so right. We keep praying.

You might be tickled to know that Evan competed in the city-wide spelling bee today. He placed 6th out of 104 spellers. A couple of words he spelled correctly that you might like to guess what they mean: nelma and pickelhaube. Have fun with those.

Love you!
Amy (for the Smiths)