Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 13

Well, we're one day from the booster transfusion of the SCT. I think Jim will get close to 1 million T-cells that were donated from Bob on the first day he came here. The booster helps jumpstart Jim's previously received stemcells. I think. I also think they were treated in something. I'm not sure. It's very hard to get detailed information here. I will try to find out, for those who like the nitty gritty, like we do.

The doctors are considering taking Jim off of the trial drug that minimizes the GVHD asap because of Jim's neuropathy. It's getting so bad that he feels the numbness now up into his shoulders. Even his lips have some numbness.


But that hasn't stopped him from dancing.




I wanted to clarify that when Jim saw that spot in his hand, thinking it was some GVHD, it wasn't a "oh no, I'm getting some GVHD" with a negative slant. He actually does want to get some GVHD. The reason is that it tells the doctors that the body is recognizing the donated cells and that they are taking over. You want what is called GVT or Graft Versus Tumor effect, and some GVHD points to that. I wonder...how can there be graft versus tumor, if there is no tumor. I'm telling you what. This is all so very confusing. Like I said, it's hard to get detailed information here. Some people don't want information. But we do. And the more questions I have, the more questions get added to the list. Inquiring minds want to know. I should have been a doctor. No a scientist. But I would have been one of those obsessed types that would never want to stop experimenting, trying to find, "the answer." I guess most scientists probably go through that, and learn to balance that type of compulsion. Sorry, I digress.

I did figure out how to explain this question that I have received from some of you. A stem cell transplant is the same thing as a bone marrow transplant. Both of them change the immune system, and they do that through the bone marrow. Some hospitals use bone marrow to do that, some use stem cells. Stem cell donation is much less painful for the donor. So, instead of taking the bone marrow out of the donor, it just takes the stem cells out of the blood that creates the immune system in the bone marrow. Then those stem cells travel into the bone marrow to modify it.


Jim got a letter from Bob stating that he's doing well. I appreciate your prayers for him as well. He says he's still feeling a bit tired and the NIH told him to lay off the gym for a while, but it was good to hear that. I know Jim has been worried. If I know him, probably feeling guilty or putting his brother through that.


Well, here are the standings after day 12. As you can see J.B. is still in the lead. Norton and Harry are trying to stay in step with Jim, but he keeps them in the dust. Candace and LWP are trying to keep up, too. But poor patsy. She's still lagging behind. But I have to say. Jim better do as little less of dancing the jig and a bit more of regular laps.

















With the neuropathy, we are actually pleased that he can even walk because he can't feel his legs. He uses a walker, of course, but who cares. I wonder if the other contestants use walkers???? I mean if they don't, is Jim really ahead?

Oh shut my mouth!!! I did NOT just say that, did I?

;)

2 comments:

k2shine said...

Looks like Jim is getting ready for St Patrick's Day doing that jig. What a wonderful thing to see this morning nothing like God's blessings and answered prayers on blogger or anywhere for that fact.

Hows your back, Sister?

I'll be talking to you both sometime today.
love and miss you and continues prayers for you both!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Uncle Jim still being in the lead! Maybe we should send down some sweat bands or new Nikes to give him an edge. ;-) What a simple and great idea for the hospital to do that... it has to feel so good for him to be working towards his own strength... while WINNING!

I'm really excited for tomorrow... it's such a relief to have no bad news this entire time... it must be a taste of things to come.

Much love to you both, can't wait to have you back home.