Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Wow

Well I got all kinds of things to talk about. First and foremost, the PT scan.

It hasn't been officially read by a radiologist, but Jim's team of oncologists read it, and according to the PETscan, Jim's in REMISSION, with no sign of cancer. Now, every thing changes here, so we shall see. And this doesn't mean that Jim is cured and doesn't have to have the stem cell transplant. (doesn't mean he isn't either, though...) But this is very good for the STC working better. Also, we have to wait until the 18th before we start and Jim's cancer is soooo aggressive, as you all know by now, so we're glad nothing is lighting up. Again, we have to take this with a grain of salt.

So, after 19 months of Jim fighting this cancer, this feels good for today. I said to Jim not too long ago. "Wouldn't it be something if the PET scan showed the cancer was gone. I would just relax and rest for a day knowing that your distorted DNA isn't trying to kill you. Who knows, maybe God healed him. Or not. Either way we have to have the SCT cause with Jim not getting chemo right now, it could trying to grow. But isn't that cool. It's very cool to think that. And it's good news for the SCT. What's not cool is that had we come here before CHOP, they would have done EPOCH, and Jim may have gone into remission and stayed there for life. Woulda coulda shoulda...not gonna. It is what it is. And for today, "no cancer" is fun to think of.

Today Jim started to procedure to put onto the SCT team. He's having all kinds of tests done, meeting with the social worker, the nutritionist, etc. This will take all week. My plans of coming home might have to change....again....because Jim's next chemo before the STC is marked on his itinerary as an outpatient, and with this seton stuff and his issues, he's upset now and we have to figure this one out.

Jim also has thrush from all the antibiotics he's been on and it's going down his esophogus, so we have to work on this one, too.,

I'm supposed to go to the Lodge on the 5th and then leave the 8th and go back the 10th. I think I'm going to tell them not to the Lodge until Jim's stem cell. I hurt my back lifting my luggage, back and forth, back and forth, and I'm just tired of all this changing all the time. I literally have been living out of a suitcase for almost 4 months now. Jim, too. Despite being home twice in that time, it was short, and filled with things to do and Jim going to the hospital. So, my plans are still up in the air. But I am going to Bob and Shelley's tonight.

Well, Jim's a bit upset about a bunch of things right now, so I have to go and ease his mind.

Talk to you later
Love Us

8 comments:

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

Jim & Gloria:

We are thrilled to hear this news.

PTL

Maddy and Sam

mary jo said...

How wonderful to hear good news!!!We'll keep thanking and praying.MJB

chrissie k said...

Wow!! WOW, WOW!?!?! I'm so excited!! Oh, my heart! We, too, will continue to pray and hope!!! WOOT!!!

Rachel said...

I can't believe what I just read. I feel like Rhoda when they all were in the upper room praying that Peter (or Paul I forget) would be released from prison and when he shows up at the door she leaves him standing there and slams the door in his face because no one can believe that it's really him. Dah, you were praying! Well that's exactly the way I feel. i can't believe what I just read about the cancer and yet we've all been praying for YEARS now that this is exactly what would happen. Praise God!
We will continue to pray because we all know how changable things can be.
We love you!
Rach

k2shine said...

Crying no slobbering, blubbering crying.
need to go now.

Anonymous said...

I agree w/Aunt Kim... not slobbering though, but definite tears. It was so nice to read, it actually hurt my heart.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow. Praise God. I know you still have lots ahead and we will still keep praying.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! That is good news. Let's just bask in this for a day. Wouldn't it be wonderfully God-glorifying if... Praying,
Amy