Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sorry Lord, but I hated today

First things first. Jim signed onto the protocol today. Not until 6:15 P.M., but he's signed on.

And all of this junk leads to that.

I got up slowly today. I had to wait for the furnace repair guy to come. I had to go food shopping, so off I went. I came back carried the food into the lodge and made tuna sandwiches for me and Jim. I also made soup. Jim loves Aldi’s tropical fruit, so I opened a can of that and brought it to him as well. I had to take the CD player and Cd’s to his room, so I loaded up the van and off I went. I loaded up the small dolly I had and went to the 3rd floor.

I noticed the soup was leaking out of the bag and there was actually a pool of soup in the bag, wetting the paper plates, sandwiches and peaches, was dripping on the dolly, etc., so I took it out of the bag, and started to carry it, and put the rest of the stuff on the dolly. As I’m in the 3rd floor atrium, the fruit falls off the dolly and opens up and goes all over the floor. The juice sprayed up and wet the back of my jeans and drenched my coat. I never saw where the peaches rolled to. I had to clean that up, and I get to Jim’s room, and I’m crying like a baby, feeling like I failed to take good care of Jim again. Jim saves what’s left of the lunch and does my laundry, while I put on his sweat clothes. I finally stop crying. And we’re wondering where the SCT team is to sign Jim on.

Every year we have been married, Jim has bought me a valentine day heart filled with candy. Steedles, Yetters, some place good. I’m not a romantic person at all and all I could think of, the first few years was, “Hon, you could have got 2 pounds for the price of 1, sans the heart. But it started to grow on me, and I saw the love and romance in the man who did something so special, something no one had done before him, and that was to give me beauty and to touch my heart. So a few weeks ago, I thanked him for all the years of hearts, telling him how much I grew to love that frivolous display of love. I knew I wouldn’t be getting candy this year with us being here and Jim being sick.

Because of my mess with lunch, Jim surprised me with a beautiful pink satin heart with Esther’s Candy in it. Oh my goodness is it good. I felt so guilty and blessed. First Jim used a gift card that Joe and MJ bought for him for Christmas, and with 2 family members helping us financially, I felt guilty for that. But it does something to my heart now, and to Jim’s to buy this. It makes me feel lovely and loved. And I just LOVE to open that box and look at it, and then taste the wonderful chocolate in it. As I eat it, it feels like I’m feasting on Jim’s love for me. And he always buys me chocolate covered cherries, coconut, raisin and peanut clusters. None of those creams and such for me. And I savour each one, and everytime I open the heart up it speaks of that love.

Well I had 2 pieces and the STC team FINALLY came in. We went over everything and signed everything. And it was a relief and it was scary. I needed another piece of chocolate after all of that. And …everything fell off the chair, and my beautiful pink heart box of chocolate opened up and spilled all over the dirty hospital floor. Well, I screamed out and cried and cried for hours. I’m still crying. After the lunch fiasco and STC signing and now this, I just broke down. And heck, let’s add Johnny and Leah moving to Chicago to go to school to the list, too, as I will miss them and know I won’t see them much, as she will be a prisoner to school for 2 years, and then working, and…(don't feel bad kids. I don't say that as a guilt manipulative thing. You know I love you, support your decision and want what is best for you and what you want. I will just miss you is all.)...I digress. Anyway. Jim had to clean up for me and throw all my candy away, because I was inconsolable. Throwing that candy away was like throwing Jim’s love away, like throwing him away. And when I think of all the energy it took for him to order it, and the trouble with UPS, and the cost, etc. It just breaks my heart. So, Jim took care of me again.

Well, Jim is getting chemo tomorrow and so I thought I would disinfect his room, and to make this horrible day end faster. After all I am the care taker. I better get at it. I ended up slamming my finger in between a sharp door and iron on the chair pusher. I screamed it hurt so badly, and I started crying all over again. I had never felt such pain. I cried and cried and cried. And Jim got me ice and I lay down on his bed and he put ice on my finger and rubbed my head for an hour while I cried some more.

The good news is I didn’t swear. I tend to swear when I hurt myself rather than cry. Usually I swear on the inside, occasionally on the outside. Jim handles the tears better than the swears.

Anyway, I finally made it home. And pecked this out trying not to use my index finger. To add insult to injury. When I hit “post” to post this story, the internet browser asked me to sign on, despite me being signed on, and I lost everything that I wrote, which as you know by now, is quite a lot. And I did this trying not to use my swollen finger.

So, I really hated this day. I’m sorry, Lord, but I did. I’m so very tired, Lord. And I’m supposed to be Jim’s care taker, and look; he took care of me today, despite my attempts. “Caretaker” is an assigned role that everyone going through a STC needs. If you don’t have someone who is willing to do this, you can’t even get a SCT, it’s that chaotic. I really need your strength, Lord. I really need to feel your love through your people, Lord. Keep the mean nurses away. Have your people pray for me. Keep the enemy at bay, Lord. But I do want to thank you for such a wonderful husband, Lord. And please heal him and keep him with me. Apparently I need him more than he needs me.

Well, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Pray for Jim. He has to get a pick line for the one drug they are giving him and they hurt. And pray for Bob, too. He has to show up early tomorrow for blood draws and they will start him on his meds to increase the stem cells. He will have to go home for a week and give himself shots every day and then he has to come back and they start the stem cell extraction. So, pray that he produces a lot of stem cells, but that the shots of meds don't cause the terrible bone pain that it caused Jim.

Months ago, I read some of the best thing I ever read on John's blog, "wait and hope" written by his friend Mike. It said.

1. God is good.
2. Life is hard.

It's because I believe #1 that I can survive #2

AMEN...

Okay that's all folks...if you're still with me after that long pathetic saga.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh... still here! I was up trying to finalize song choices to the DJ... the 2 of us are doomed. You will never meet 2 bigger procrastinators! So I thought before I go to bed (only to have more wedding-oriented nightmares) that I'd check in.

It is such great news to hear about Uncle Jim making rounds around his hospital floor to earn his Xs, and that you've taken SUCH good care of him all this time, that he's able to take care of you right back. It's really wonderful to read, and it makes me feel good to know that Donny will be here for me in that same way.

It is very bittersweet that you won't be able to be here for my wedding... but SUCH a blessing that the SCT is possible and happening. I'll think of you both, and if I can figure out a way to send down some wedding cake and cookies, I will.

Take it easy tomorrow... it has to be a less hectic day! Thinking of you guys ALWAYS... Kelly

PS I don't like the cream filled stuff either, coconut clusters are my favorite! :-)

Anonymous said...

A little something to give you solstice...when you have had to be taken care of so long (as Jim has), it often gives your heart a lift to be able to care for someone else. It gives you purpose and makes you feel "human" again. So, in a warped way, you gave Jim a bizarre little Valentine's gift as well.

Hang in there...

love,
K

P.S. You have to have at least a month's worth of tears saved up. I'm glad you got some out.

Anonymous said...

And man, I'm sorry to hear about the chocolates...that stinks!!!

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

Sounds like you need a sump pump for all those tears.

It sounds like you were able to make sense of it all and I agree with "Anonymous K" that it probably makes Jim feel like he could take care of you for once. That makes sense to me.

Happy Valentines Day you two. We'll pray harder.

Love,
Sam and Maddy

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that it alomost seems like something that appears bad always goes along with anything good. Admittedly you two have taken it to a pretty unbelievable level. If you ever want company driving to Chicago, our daughter Alyssa goes to school there too. We could carpooL, maybe learn to knit when your life gets a little duller:) It is really hard when the kids go away. You could knit covers for all the plants and lemons you will someday grow:) We will keep praying
NAncy

Rachel said...

Hi Dear Friend, You are ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers. And of course I always read the blog, several times a day even. I'm one of the addicted ones! LOL

I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I think it's a good thing though that you were taken care of by Jim. He is still your husband and despite the hospital rules God has still given him the authority and the responsibility to love you as Christ loved the church. His love and care for you didn't get annulled when he was diagnosed with cancer. I'm sure it was good medicine for Jim to be able to comfort, protect, and take care of his wife. Men need that, it is a God given roll that no disease or hospital can or should take away.

I am so sad that you lost your precious candy. I did learn more about you though, (no creams but lots of coconut and nuts. YUM!) I always feel like "Ground Hog Day" because I often take notes of your likes and dislikes. We share our hearts but we don't know each other's favorite colors or those common every day things. So when I go to buy you something it helps if I have this mental list of the things that you like. One time you mentioned Good-n-Plenty-I THINK but I'm never sure. Is Good-n-Plenty one of your favorites? I do know you like King Soupers Pumpkin Seed!LOL I wILL remember that one. Well, I have rambled long enough. I love you! and I"m praying for you! Rach

Rachel said...

PS. I know we are a like in many ways and we have the same heart for God but we are different in one way and that is-I am a hopeless romantic. I am totally pathetic when it comes to girly things and/or anything romantic. Any time a holiday rolls around and Gary and the kids want a gift list I always say: "girly things" and "romantic things" from Gary. Sad thing is they don't seem to have much of a vision for the whole idea. I totally melt when I go into a very feminine and romantic store. It's like a drug to me! I wish I had some of your practicality when it comes to such things. I LONG for anything romantic but always have to settle for the practicalities of life. Oh well. I feel like I could withstand all the bugs, trials, and persecutions that Mexico has to offer if I only can take my perfume! LOL odd I know

love ya

me

Unknown said...

I LOVE GOOD 'N' PLENTY.

Know what, Rach. I would rather you know my heart more than know that I love Good n plenty. I can get them myself and anywhere. But I can't find a friend who loves me just the way I am anywhere. So....I love milk duds, too. And malted milk balls. I love malted milk balls. You pretty much have the whole picture now though. :) I don't do good with "favorites" I don't have a fave candy, pizza or color. It depends on my mood. Mineo's or Beto's, Pink or Yellow, coconut clusters or Cherry cordials. How could I ever pick just one of anything.

I love you friend.