Monday, February 9, 2009

Does this crap happen to everyone?

I'm sure it does. But it seems like I'm a target. I try saying that without the victim mentality. So here's what happened this morn. as I prepare to move to Bethesda for 3 to 6 months.

For the first time in weeks, I fell asleep at a normal time 11:30ish. But alas, I woke up to flashing lights in the BR, from the DR. It's 5:00 a.m, and I get up and it looks like a road crew. So I layed around for 15 mins and got up to shower. I had no sooner lathered up my scrunchie thingie with Neutrogena bath wash and coated myself with the soap, when the water shut off. I couldn't believe it. Me, Mrs. Dry Skin. So, I had to rinse off with diaper wipes. It took almost a whole pack. And I was freezing. I'm not really rinsed off either. And so I went down stairs for the 1 bottle of water that I have and brushed my teeth with freezing water. Glad I use Sensodyne. So, that was today's excellent adventure. I'm actually laughing at this more than angry, but there is an air of unbelievability about our lives anymore.

Anyway, that's my Pittsburgh sendoff. I only have a few things to do before I take off, but I'm on my way.

Today is Jim's bone marrow biopsy and tomorrow he signs onto the protocol, and it is official. Pray that the BMP isn't very painful for him.

Yesterday when I was packing for my move, I found a ticket stub to the Aviary from September of 2008. Jim and I went. He walked the whole Aviary, slowly. He was in pain, but stronger then. We went under the thought that this would be our last outing together, as Jim was released to go home to die at that point. We were told that the radiation could hold it off for a while, but I think that was more hopeful wishing on the doctor's part. The increased pain told Jim that was not happening. Anyway, it was weird to see that stub, and to think of all that has come to pass since that time. I have had 5 more months of life with my Jumbo. That still amazes me. And while it wasn't quality life, we are so thankful for it, and more so for the opportunity to receive care that can possibily give us that quality of life, the desire of which we have seen reflected in each others eyes for a year now. But amazingly, humans really are adaptable. I am excited as all getout to go sit in my hub's hopt. room, plop in my chair, put my feet on his bed, with nothing to say to each other (I mean, what could we possibly have to talk about after 200 plus days of this past year being spent in a hospital room) and do a crossword puzzle. This has now become our new "quality life." And I've said I would do it forever if I had to. BUT....BUT....

This small stupid crap like diaper wipe shower rinses has GOT TO STOP....

Adios amigos.

ADDENDUM...ADDED AT 8:21. My water is and I rerinsed and am eating humble pie. My friend Maddy lost her whole well. Maddy, I would come and help if I wasn't leaving. God Bless you my friend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Jim's procedure went well today. When I'm having a particularly bad day, I'm going to imagine you rinsing yourself off with baby wipes. Ahhh...there's humor even in the stupid things of life.

Sending our love...and many prayers for a successful SCT!

Kristen

Anonymous said...

I remember being in a car with Laney when she was a baby. Brian and my mom had taken Evan to a train exhibit. She had a big blow out through every piece of clothing she was wearing. Brian had the diaper bag inside the exhibit. I attempted to clean her up with tissues which was a BIG MESSY mistake. They were sticking to her and then sticking to me and dozens of tissues made no dent in the mess. And I had no place to put the dirty tissues. I ended up wrapping her naked in her blanket and throwing her clothes away. I'd actually forgotten that until I read your story.

Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

lol. I'm sitting in my be laughing at your story Amy. I have a laptop, thanks to my son, but it takes some getting used to so this will be short. But I thank you for your funny story and laughs. And Kristen, I was going to give you that box of wipes for your new babe, but sorry, all gone. ;)

I love this laptop typing on the bed thing, but it sure is different than the regular computer. The spacebar is so flat.