Thursday, February 19, 2009

All done



Bag 2 is all done. The nurses actually brought Jim a birthday cake. It's something they do here after a SCT. I guess they consider it your new birthday because in some ways you're a new person. This will actually change not only Jim's immune system, but he will actually get Bob's blood type, too.
The cyclosporin that they give Jim continues to really really bother him. It makes his whole body feel like it's on fire, and it's making the neuropathy worse. They might consider tweaking it, but this is what keeps the GVHD risks smaller. But we don't have to worry about that for a while. Well, actually we don't have to worry about it at all. It's amazing what I don't worry about any more. Saying.."well we don't have to worry about that for a while" is almost a habit." My mom was a worrier. One of my fave family memories with my mom and sister is a few years before mom's death, the rain was making the hillside slide up the street from my mom and sister live, slide down onto the road, threatening other's houses. My sister's great debut on national television was her standing there with this dumb look on her face and she says. "When it rains, I worry." It sounded more like, "when it wains, I worwee." To this day when there is something bothersome, we'll just pop out with, "when it wains, I worwee." Kind of reminds me of "You're got mail" when Tom Hanks says, "we sell cheap books, so sue me."
Anyway, where was I going with this. Oh, Yeah. No worries, be happy kind of thing. I am doing better at this. I have been asking the Lord to constantly change my heart, my thoughts and my words that they be more pleasing to him. And worwee isn't a part of it.
Well, the docs say that it will take 7 to 10 days for Jim to start feeling strong. It's at that time that problems can start as well. And I think at day 14, they give Jim some more of Bob's cell that have been treated in something. It's called the booster shot.
So stay tuned. I'm sure there's more drama around the bend.
Thanks for all your prayers today and always. Jim is doing some leg lifts and squeezing his hand exerciser I got him. But he's really whipped.
Pray for Bob too, that his system rejuvinates quickly. He looked very tired when he left here and Jim is still worried about him. There's that word again. When it wains, I worwee.
Bob, you were gone so quick so you could beat the traffic. Thank you seems so little to offer, but we do thank you. And Carol, too. And we hope you being away from her back and forth hasn't been too hard on her and that her shoulder is healing nicely. You have been in my heart and my prayers and on my mind, Carol. We thank you, too.
Love Us
PS. Shelley, I got your text. I'll phone you tomorrow about your question.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying that this is the beginning of a whole new era for Jim...we prayed tonight with the kids before bed that soon you would both be home, living life as God has called you to live it...serving Him, worshiping Him, and enjoying His love and creation.

May the worries stay at bay and may you be surrounded by His awesome peace.

Love,
Kristen

Anonymous said...

So thankful to hear that Uncle Jim is doing well right now!!!! Praise God.

Unknown said...

Dolly and Jim,
As I was thinking about the statistics on this I decided that the 50% or so of people for whom this treatment works must be the ones that have people praying for them. Since there are sooooooo many people praying for you guys, your odds are MUCH higher. And furthermore, if God wills it, your odds are exactly 100%. (I sure hope that God wills it!) Ultimately we are all in His loving hands and there are no better hands to be in!

God bless you guys. I really think that you are both due a break. "7 to 10 days for Jim to start feeling strong" really sounds nice. Say it, again.

Our prayers are ever with you. May God bless and keep you in His loving hands.

Tom & Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

We've been praying throughout the day and just now read the updates. I feel so hopeful. I pray you do as well. We will continue to pray.

Love,
Amy (for the Smiths)

Rachel said...

Dearest Friend,
I am so happy for both of you. It sounds like this is exactly what Jim has needed and it makes sense about the "new immune system" How cool! Wow! It's amazing!
Well, it's time for bed but I just wanted you to know that I am so happy for you both and I pray that this is the last time Jim is in the hospital for anything!
love you both
Rach

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

It's been a long time coming - it seemed like this day would never come, and now "it's done". We sure hope Jim begins to feel some positive effects of the SCT soon.

What a cool thing for the nurses to bring Jim a birthday cake. I'm sure that brought a smile to your faces. Wish we could have been there to support you in person, but you are alway in our thougts.

Believing God for the best,
Maddy and Sam

Susan said...

Awesome news. It's amazing, really, the medical advances we have available to us. Praying for a smooth recovery. Praise God!

Love,
Susan

mary jo said...

It's so great to see you both smiling. What a blessing and it looks like a good beginning. We love you much. Read Ps.57 first few verses in particular. MJB and JB

Anonymous said...

I'm praising God that the SCT has finally happened. There was a time when it didn't seem like it would. It was a part of His plan all along. I'm praying for you both and Uncle Bob and Aunt Carol. Love you all. Be at peace.
Love,
Judi

P.S. Your smiling faces are beautiful! It's great to see the pictures!