Saturday, November 15, 2008

Update

Hi Everyone:

Well, Jim had an A+ on tests. He's passed them all, and he's welcomed into the trial, and they will begin the meds on Monday.

It's not in his spine or his brain. We don't know if it's in the bone marrow, but that doesn't matter in terms of being part of this trial. That's just for staging for scientific information and such. That's a bummer for Jim, as it's not a fun test, but we're not complaining. It will be interesting to see if this cancer has gone to his bone marrow though, because it hasn't spread into any major organs, and that's pretty amazing considering it's such an aggressive cancer. The doctor said that Jim's kidney's are okay, too. Both of them. The docs said that Jim's tumor is "weird." That's a very scientific word down here. I hear it all the time. "weird"

So... It's a 72 hour push and then he'll stay for a few days for monitoring. We're not thinking we should be here for Thanksgiving. So...

We're still not tap dancing expecting a cure, expecting anything. But we both are breathing a lot easier right now. We'll take any type of reprieve.

Jim is sitting here reading with me and wants to thank all of you for all of your prayers. The sentence moved him to tears.

NANCY: Thanks for the headsup on the sudoku website. "Evil" huh? I tried to access it last night from the lodge to print a few out, but it wouldn't let me, but it will be fun to try. I bought a book a year ago, and it had 100's of puzzles from easiest to "migraine." I had mastered migraine and was puffed up until you told me there is "evil" We'll see.

KRISTEN: Thanks for watering the plants. If the temp is high and hot and sunny, every other day or every third day, but if the temp. is cooler, once a week is fine. It was 78 here today. Oh, to be a bit more south. Also, call my sister, because I know Mark will be at the house and he's watering this weekend I think.

Yes, I have grapefruit, a few lemon trees an orange tree, a barbadoes cherry (there should be a few ripe, eat some) and figs (should be a few ripe, eat some. I bet Larry, my piasano, would love to have a fresh fig. All of us italians did, anyway. HOWEVER, THOSE TWO BIG LEMONS....Well, I guess I would give them to you :( if you really asked, but when Jim was in pain and out of it, he said, "TELL EVERYONE TO KEEP THEIR HANDS OFF MY LEMONS." So, you can't have them. ;) Have you ever seen any so big?

You'll have to come in January and February when the citrus and gardenia and jasmine are blooming. It's so sweet, it's almost too much to bear.


CHRISSY: I had called your mom and dad up at the cottage and it was busy. When I got through, they told me about your wonderful story. I bet they felt bad in a greatful way, that they were up there. :) Sorry about the plumbing problems.

Okay everyone. Next update will be on Monday to let everyone know how Jim's first day with treatment went.

Love Gloria

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
k2shine said...

Sister, it's like I'm gonna sleep like a baby after today's test results. I got K's phone # if I need it. Mark checked on everything and yes those lemons are big!

So what are you and Jim gonna do on your anniversary tomorrow?

OHhhh find Abbe on the PC utube and you guys dance. take a pic of that one for me!

Now I'm singing in my head dancing queen THANKS K!

going to play catan I MISS playing it with you.

Love to you both, Happy Anniversary,
God Bless You,
me and mark

Rachel said...

Dear Jim and Dolly,

I was so excited when I turned on my computer after being gone all day. What fantstic news! We are SO happy for you both. I know it's hard not to get too excited and I don't want to set either one of you up for a huge let down. But I think we should all throw caution to the wind and all shout a huge "Halleluiah!" Well, I can think of no better anniversary present, short of the rapture or Jim's total healing!
Happy 12th anniversary! ;-) I can't help but kid you about this, particularly in light of your good news.
love you bunches.
Rach

Rachel said...

PS. I don't envy your warm weather, we have enough of it out here. Bethany and I were out doing a little shopping for her upcoming worship dance concert, Santa was arriving outside of the mall and everyone is in short sleeves and trying to see Santa through the glare of the sun.
Give me cold cloudy Pennsylvania weather this time of year! PLEASE! They keep promising us a snow flake or two but so far haven't delivered.

PS. Your green house sounds completely amazing! Wish I had time and space to comment on the specifics. What an amazing greenhouse though. I'm so envious! But then I'll be in Mexico where all of those things grow by leaps and bounds outside year round! :-)

Love ya

me

Rachel said...

Can't get Dancing Queen outta my mind. This is not a good thing since I am about to write more missionary support letters. "Anybody could be that guy, the night is young and the musics Hiiiighhh" hmm not exactly mood music for support letters. Hey lets have a party instead!
As you can see I am giddy with happiness for you, my dear dear friend.

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

I don't know whether it's an answer to prayer, but at least I feel like God is at least listening to the prayers that are being offered for Jim and he is moving in a mysterious way.

Thank you God for building my faith through hearing about Jim.

Love you guys!!
Maddy and Sam

Unknown said...

Great. Now I'm singing abba songs in my head. geeze, guys. Thanks.

You'll are more excited than me. I'm just plain beat. Figs are ripe when they are bigger than the unripe ones, and they are soft to touch. They can ripen a bit off the plant, and they usually ripen going up the stem in order. So the riper ones will be at the bottom. And they will darken. If that don't get you, next time you are giant eagle, check them out. But don't buy any. Last time I was there, they were 3.99 a piece. Crazy, huh?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Praise God!!! I won't go getting all excited on you, but how fabulous to hear news that's at least hopeful! We're home having an ABBA song/dance-a-thon right now(thinking of you, Jim--we'll plan another one when you're home and well). And, don't worry...I wouldn't DREAM of touching your lemons! :-) They're crazy-big! Now, for the question of the day...how do you tell if a fig is ripe???

I am looking forward to days when the boys can hang out, and you and I can putz in the greenhouse, Gloria!

Well, off to join in the end of "Dancing Queen"!

Love,
K

btw, temperatures here are not nearly as nice--47 and rainy today, 39 and snowy tomorrow.

also, don't have Kim's phone number...Kim, if you read this and need to call, I'm at 555-555-5555

(K's previous message. I reposted with # so Jim can read)