Saturday, November 22, 2008

Jim

Hi All:

Well, I was at the hopt. from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and it was NOT a good day.

Jim's pain is up. His heart rate is up. His temp is up. His blood pressure is up. He's twitching, and his mood is down. They gave him lasix, but he still has about 15 pounds of water on him. He believes that he have tumor lysis and is trying to get doctors to listen to him. And he may have some if it, and if he does, that's good, cause it means the tumor is shrinking. But they said that no one has ever gotten it on this protocol, and his pain is up, and that's not evidence of his cancer shrinking. He got himself in such a tizzy, that he thought he was having a heart attack. I had to tell the nurse to leave so we could pray. But he couldn't walk away from the fear and stress, despite the prayers. He told me, "if I were at home, Dr. Crandall would...." I said, If you were at home, you would be on hospice or already dead." We may never know if this trial will work because I think Jim is going to micromanage himself right off of the trial. They want this to work for him, but they aren't in the curing business. They are in the trial business with hopes that it cures. If you're a pain in the butt, and not easy to work with, with too many extras, you're not good for their science, and they'll take you off the trial. I don't think they are interested in an research Engineer's opinions, even though they may be valid. Their science is why they are cold and removed from the patients. I mean if anything can be done, THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE when you're as sick as Jim is. But it's because of research, not caring hearts. So, with Jim's tumor and pain burden...I just don't know. But you know what. After living it for 15 hours, I don't want to talk about it for another hour, so I'm going to bed.

And I am NOT going to be there tomorrow for the 2.5 sec doc visit, watching my husband in vain trying to get them to sit and talk and reason for an hour. In fact, I am going to go on the treadmill, and lay in bed and watch church, and eat scrambled eggs for breakfast. I think I'll make it an 8 hour hospital day tomorrow. I need a break.

Good night all. Pray for Jim. I feel very bad for him. I apologized for bringing him down here, even though he wanted to do it, too. This has just been too insane, particularly for him. I have let go and and put it all in God's lap a few weeks ago. I prayed that God would open doors or close them in regards to any help for Jim, and we're here. I'm not sure why though. I realize there is nothing I can do but pray and love Jim. He's just in so much pain and all that it's too much to watch anymore. When I think of him dancing in heaven, versus writhing in bed, I wish he were there and not here.

Well, I'm going to bed.

PS Kim, I e-mailed you from my yahoo account, but it rejected my letter as spam. So, you didn't get my e-mail.

Kristen, don't worry about the plants. The hose is shut off cause it could freeze, and I would normally do it by hand, and I can have Mark do that, and the heater automatically turns on.

Tired me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gloria and Jim,

I am praying for you to feel God's arms wrapped around you and comforting you this moment, this day, this week, this life. You are such a treasure to Him and to us. You inspire us and we feel so sad and hopeful and privileged to join you and so many others in praying you through this.

Amy Smith

Rachel said...

My dear friend, I am speachless and that rarely happens.......I love you so much but haven't a clue as to what to say or how to help you. I suppose that's the call to weap with those who weap. In times like these there really isn't anything to do or say except "be" there for you. Sadly 2,000 miles away I really can't do that.
Even "I love you" sounds stupid, at least as I say it it sounds stupid and useless but I mean it deeply from my heart.
I have to go for now, Nathaniel has chicken pox and i have to make sure he is alright before I leave for church. Wish you could come with us, I'm singing in the choir this morning!
I love you my friend and I pray for you always.
PS. You know my friend, that Jim has a tremendous amount of "drugs" in his body. That is bound to affect his reasoning, his ability to calm down, and his emotional response. I'm sure you've heard this all by now but when a patient is on the amount of drugs that he is on, they are not responding "normally" the way that they would without all those chemicals in their body. He is a legal and Godly person who is on drugs. But he is still on drugs none-the-less.

Unknown said...

Thanks Amy and Rachel. I needed a little love this morning. I was going to go to the store and by some eye cream and I was going to buy some earings (not really diamonds, but something about 3 bucks)but I'm not sure that I am going to. Every day is a new day and I wake up feeling hopeful. It's usually at night that hope takes flight, but it never really leaves. It just goes to sleep a bit early, like I need to.

So, thanks for the thoughts and pick-me-ups. I do indeed need them. I can't imagine being inspiring, though, Amy. And Rach, I wish I could hear you sing in the choir. I didn't know that you could sing well. And tell Nathaniel not to scratch. I guess he didn't get the chicken pox vaccine.

I love you guys.
Dolly

Here's to a better day.