Tuesday, November 18, 2008

For your reading pleasure

So, there's a black man, a French man, and a Jewish man at the NCI. They all walk...
Okay, no joke here. These were just Jim's roommates.

The first roomate we liked, but we didn't know it at first. The funky talking, loud voice, constant phone calls, etc., but we liked him. But we only got him for 1 day and 1 night. He was black, kind and a brother in the Lord. He was an ignorant man, and I felt sad that he couldn't find the right words and didn't understand the doctors. No matter how they dummied it down, it confused him. But he was kind. He was very excited about his church loving on him, trusted in God, despite the new DX of cancer, and was excited about Pres. to be Obama. We found out yesterday that he had asked about Jim.

Then, the piece de' resistance. The Frenchman. Walks out of the shower nude. Proud as a peacock. Wouldn't say hi, wouldn't talk, cold as can be. Free treatment at our tax funded hopt, and you could slice the disdain he had for America. He was hard. Looked hard, and acted hard. But I couldn't help laughing when he opened his mouth. Coudt I have a wom blanket pleez. I woo-d like to odor my lunch, plez. Wee wee, pee pee, fi fi. Some say the language is romantic, but I wasn't hearing that. I was hearing...I was not nice. The first night Jim was in extreme pain and up all night. He was crying out to the Lord for a few hours. He apologized the next day to this guy, and the guy wouldn't even look at him. His priest came and gave him communion every day. I wanted to ask the priest to hear my confession... I had hate in my heart toward this man. I couldn't believe it. I don't hate. Ever... This was very foreign to me, and I did not like it. And I couldn't stop it, either. I had to go home and repent. But the next day, my heart mocked his wee wee fi fi talk, as he was rude to my Jim. But I got over it. But I couldn't reach out to him. I hated this. I took pride in my ability to ignore him. Something that is so easy for some, is not easy for me. I ignore no one. I saw myself in the worse light, and I have much examining of the heart to do in this regard, still. To confound things further, he leaves and wishes us well. ????? HUH?

Now, our Jewish roommate. Now, this is funny. He's friendly, but odd. He's constantly on the phone, and I recognize loneliness. He talks and talks and talks. He's full of pride, and quick to share his political, monetary, and other views. He says, "you didn't like Bush, did you" I told him that I did, and he said that he apologizes to foreigners for our President. I told him he needs to become more like me and not care what foreigners think...LOL (thinking about our frenchman) But he talks on and on and on. I ask about his cancer, and ask if I could pray for him. His name is Larry. He needs the Lord. He says, I can pray for him. "I am Jewish." Not sure why my prayer and his Jewishness are a match, but that's okay. It's opened a door. I asked the Lord to do that. Then I listen to his conversations....(they are hours long and hard not to hear) and I'm glad I didn't vote for Obama if for no other reason, it tells me that I'm not in the same thinking pool as a man like this. (that's a joke, kinda) He's 50 or so, watching MTV, mags, gambles, travels, hangs up on his sister, has all the answers to EVERYTHING, is a political know it all, married and divorced 3 times, is dying of cancer and he's seeking any and all pleasure this world can give him. Sigh. I prayed that God would give me the words for this one. But this one I love, or at least like. I feel more like me.

I don't even know the name of the Frenchman to pray for him. But I think I need to pray more for me in this regard. Even still when I think of him, eww. it's ugly.

Anyway, Jim is doing okay. He is sweating a lot, retaining lots of water, his heart rate is up. His pain meds are up. He's having terrible dreams of his mom falling off a building and him not being able to save her. They are nightmares. Poor guy. He's tired. Larry, the know it all has been on the phone starting at6:30. And it's him calling them. I can imagine people cringing when they see who it is. Last night he called someone he hadn't talked to in 12 years. He told them he found their phone on the internet. I think they probably disappointed. Isn't that sad. Poor guy. Nobody wants him. But I can tell why. Gosh. I don't mean to be judgmental. It's just that that's the way it is.

I went to craft shop 2 days in a row. Today I made a thanksgiving card. yesterday, I began a stocking that I have to complete. They have lots of things to enjoy. The dogs are coming later, and I will pet them and pretend they are Sara Ruby, Sam, and Simon, 3 great dogs.

Okay, guys. See, who needs a priest when I have you all to confess to. I hope none of you are French and insulted. It was a personal thing.

The docs come in and are gone before you know it. Our list of questions go unanswered. Jim needs lasix. He has about 15 pounds of water in his legs....lol. Larry's cell phone is ringing as he's on the hospital phone. Now he's talking to 2 different people on 2 different phones at the same time. He's good.

Okay, I'm rambling and skipping all over the place.

And Kristen, can you believe this. Our keyboard down here is broken. I sure miss my new one. It's fast. I meant to tell you that. I can type so fast on it.

Cheers folks
Love Gloria

Keep praying for my Jim.
I can't do e-mail. Only blog. Next time, I will be able to access my e-mail, as I will bring my password.

Cheers.

Oh, if you want, you can e-mail me at

jimlovesruby@yahoo.com


Gloria

4 comments:

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

Hi Gloria... glad to see your sense of humor is still intact!

Interesting story about the French guy... we have friends that are French (they are actually quite nice and they believe in God which most French people do not) but they have told us numerous times that they don't even like other French people. They say the French are rude to each other and they like Americans much better. So, it's not you... he probably doesn't even realize how he comes across. I say, pray for him. He needs it more than you do.

Glad to hear Jim is under treatment. You and Jim are dear to our hearts and Sam and I pray for you often.

Look forward to hearing good things about Jim. You are due for some good news.

Maddy

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k2shine said...

Hello you two, I watered the greenhouse and got mail. I had to take off that 3 faucet thing and just put the hose on it I got squirted from it down right WET from it, did I mention was a snowing like you couldn't see across the street? Got stuck in that 3times today. me and christa when saw Pap Shiney he's doing good he was thrilled to see her and she was thrilled to see him. He asked where you where, I told him in MD he said ok. Showed him all the snow and why he couldnt go home cause its cold and snowy and I was real close. All is good with him. We then we to Passavant had lunch with Gina ran into Dr. Mehta(rad doc) She ask if Jim was in I said oh no we came for lunch and Jim was in MD for the trail. She sends her best.

Why aren't they giving him lasix? Anymore when it comes to meds I get all French like. LOL More French like when it comes to appt with doctors like week now waiting to get appt for Lymphedema Center at AGH.

See you didnt call me and we didnt play catch up so now I'm doing it here.

I thought the other day man if Jim would had to move you guys away for his job, I can't even take you guys gone a week. Going now I miss you. Love me You American Made Sister! BYE AMERICAN
ps.
oh IFY closing lots of stores go to snopes.com they got a list so no buys gift cards for holidays!

Anonymous said...

Gloria - I love the way you tell stories...I couldn't wait to hear about the next roommate. Maybe next it will be an Italian :) You are loved...God bless you two, love, Kim