Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fiddler on the Roof

If you know me, you know I love the movie/musical Fiddler on the Roof.

Today I feel like Tevye when his horse goes lame and he asks God, "Now, was that necessary so close to the Sabbath?" I too, was so close to a rest.

Or perhaps this quote is apropos.

"I know we are the chosen people, but once in a while, can't you chose someone else."

It is 7:20, and Jim just started to get his second unit of blood. There were all kinds of missteps, snafu's, etc. The port wouldn't work. They had to retype Jim's blood because since the stem cell transplant, he might not be the same type. Bob's type is "normal" out there, but in here it's type A minor with a D trend...or some weird thing. Then Jim's blood kept clotting. And they ordered more blood tests. And the nurse forgot to answer a page...

I had 2 hours of sleep last night. My ankles are swollen and killing me, and if I get out of here at 10:00 p.m. I'll consider myself blessed.

So, I ask, God, was this necessary? I asked Him and am resting in knowing that "yeah, obviously so." And I try to see him as so kind and gentle and loving rather than seeing Him smiting me or laughing at my expense pushing pushing pushing me until...what? I succeeded in believing the voice of truth, that He is kind and gentle and loving. I succeeded in resting in that truth today better than I ever have in my life, "...for power is perfected in weakness" I guess. (His power, not mine)

However I wonder if perhaps God isn't wanting me home rather than Jim. Seriously. I feel dead.

How am I so filled with Him and love for Him and desire for Him and yet feel so empty, so very empty? I guess that's why I asked, "Now, God, was that necessary...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry...

Hebrews 13: 20-21 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep,equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I give you this passage first to remind you of our good times in Hebrews class, second because it tells us that God is the God of peace (which I know you've got to be needing right now), thirdly because it mentions God bringing Jesus back from the dead (sounds like that would be helpful to you as well), and finally because it mentions equipping us (and I pray that He equips you to get through yet another stumbling block).

I love you, friend, and will continue to pray for you through this.

Love,
K

P.S. Oh yeah, and it mentions Jesus being the great shepherd, and I will be praying that He leads you beside those still waters soon!

Anonymous said...

Still here. Still praying.

Love you!
Amy and Brian

Mary said...

I'm still here and I'm still praying. I just updated Casey who is visiting here now, and she told me to tell you that she's praying for you as well.

I'm asking you that you also pray for us - things are really getting crazy here in the family.

Love ya,

Mary "Sinner" Reina

k2shine said...

HELLO BLOG PEOPLE!

THEIR HOME!!!!!!!!
and LOOKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
thank YOU SWEET JESUS!

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Thanks for the update....

Gloria,

Wanted to help welcome you home, but our entire household has some virus/infection, so I'll spare you until we're well.

I hope you get some time to rest!

Love,
K