Wednesday, January 14, 2009

We need prayer

Hi folks:

I joke to keep me going. But I've noticed my jokes are pretty lame. A sign that I'm not going as well as I once did.

We need prayer.

Me, I am overwhelmed. I'm not going to type everything that I have to face and such. There is so much. And it's not about being a silent sufferer or offering it up, but I don't want to make the list. Seeing it would overwhelm me more. Just please pray for me.

And Jim. His Neuropathy (numbness) is sooooo bad. From his toes to his beldy (belly). He went down in pain meds, but the pain is there. Will the tumors shrink any more? There's a chance they won't. Will he make it to the SCT? And on and on and on.

Yesterday I wrote to a friend and thought that the cross that she walked for many years was harder than this. I was in a better place, Rach. :) Truth is there is no need to compare, and comparing apples with oranges is dumb anyway. WE ALL NEED GOD'S PRAYER, MERCY, GRACE, LOVE, COMPASSION, SPIRIT, ETC. None of us were created for the fruit of sin of this world, and it's just hard, period.

Maddy and Thelma, 2 friends from church whose husbands have cancer have tons of struggles, too. Thelma had to get cancerous tissue removed from her face in middle of her dear husband's hospice care. And Maddy....well, she posts here, go read her blog. She does all the cancer care and works and such, and her husband has had chronic pain for 10 years...before the cancer stint. But you know what I was thinking...again....I mean this is nothing new. This paragraph of pain doesn't mean someone else's migraine or paper cut (which we know can hurt and get infected) shouldn't cause them to cry because it doesn't compare. The truth is, we were created to have what we won't have until we go and be with our Lord and Savior. In the meantime, let's just be encouraged to love each other and pray for each other.

YOU FIRST....

:)

That was kinda funny there at the end, wasn't it? I haven't lost it all, have I?

Gloria

5 comments:

Sam and Maddy Karpiak said...

Like Dr. Bickel Said - This life is a battleground, not a playground.

I totally agree with you. The only thing that comparing problem can do is help you with your own perspective, I think. Like when Sam starts to think he has it bad, we think of Jim and our situation doesn't seem sooo bad. And then there is Thelma and Bill. Such dear sweet people - but they don't see themselves as victims. They have been such an encouragement to us - as you and Jim have been, too.

You are in my thoughts and prayers always.
maddy

mary jo said...

Welcome home again. I just finished listening to the Dolly "Soaking" CD. I know you are a full time nurse but put it on. It is so amazing. Thank you for all the CDs you gave me. They have blessed me daily for the last few months. Praying and Loving you guys. MJB-Joe's in NYC.

Anonymous said...

A thought. We realized that the hospital is only about 8 miles from McClean Bible church (VA) which is pastored by Lon Solomon. You can hear his messages at the church website. He is inspiring and insightful. The church is amazing. We have always wanted to go but never had a truely great reason. Like I said, a thought.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you are not constantly overwhelmed, I am constantly amazed how you just keep going. All I can do is promise to keep praying. Sorry I have not done more for you guys but I do pray everyday for you guys. It seems like we have to be like a horse with blinders on looking only at Christ but the minute we look away(life is good for that) we fall into the water like Peter did. Someday we will all be perfectly rested, NOOOOO more pain which is obviously pertinent to your situation, no more tears and we will think about God all the time. I can't even imagine but we won't even think sinful thoughts. EVerything will be good.

Oh well you said you need prayer so I will keep praying

Anonymous said...

Hi Gloria and Jim,

We continue to pray for you here in Cincinnati. Evan wanted you to know that he read the kids' version of The Count of Monte Cristo today and he loved it. He said, "Mrs. Baldauff told me about this book and it was a great book." Hannah did well in her first week of class. She is focused and working hard. We (Amy, Evan and Laney) did get the stomach bug the night before we left for Cincy and boy was it nasty. But we came anyway, weak and shaky. Thankfully, Hannah had had it earlier in the week so by the time her school started she was completely recovered.

You are very much in our thoughts and prayers.

Much love,
Amy (for the Smiths)