Saturday, January 24, 2009

Surgery

Well, it's not as bad as we first thought. Jim misunderstood the doctor. Jim HAS to have this minor surgery or "you will die." The infection will just spread too fast. He's probably had it for a few weeks, which is why he had the temp last time. When he was neutropenic, it started to grow. We're assuming here, but. Anyway.

If Jim doesn't have the surgery, that will have to delay the chemo because Jim would not survive another chemo with this type of infection, because it's in his rectal area. Doc said that Jim might have to delay the chemo a day or two. They will contact the NIH on Monday for feedback, but the doctor said he doesn't care what they say down there, that Jim HAS to have this procedure. What they will do is put Jim under, and lance/slice something inside that is not draining properly (okay, this is gross, but his brothers and sisters neices and nephews love him and need to know what is going on, so friends, bear with us, here, although I know you love him too. I know that friends of friends read this too, and wonder why I talk so freely about things. Well....go read a sports blog...). They have to do this so that it will drain and stop being infected and Jim has to go on antibiotics and....I don't know. I'm wondering if the NIH will want him to go down there and do it, will they give him the chemo after this procedure. Will Jim even be able to sit on his behind, particularly for a 5 hour drive. Who knows. Those are next week's issues.

Well, I know this. I got all huffy as I was preparing to leave for the hospital for yet another frenzied problem. Janet called and said, "I feel so bad. Everytime I call, I seem to catch you in the middle of something." I had to laugh cause I'm always caught in the middle of something. So, I got off the phone and into the car. I wasn't out of the driveway when I called her and was pretty much balanced with the new development. All of this stuff brings Jim and I into totally different level of letting go, of not being control freaks, of trusting God. If we dwell on all the problems that could arise out of this new problem, well, then I'm sunk. But I practice letting go (and I have many opportunities to practice this daily), we do so much better. I'm learning the secret of joy amidst the problems. This is good. I'm not an expert, but I'm learning.

You have my permission to remind me of this often. :)

1 comment:

chrissie k said...

hey sweet auntie and dear uncle! just wanted to send a little hello. thinking of you often and praying as often. love you guys DEARLY.
blessings and peace,
chrissie