Thursday, December 11, 2008

Better and better & thanks yous

Jim continues to get better. He walked a bunch more yesterday. His mouth is still sore, but he ate some oatmeal I made him. He ate a yogurt, too.

The lump on his leg, that looks to me like an ingrown hair follicle, is going to be biopsied today. The docs just want to know what it is. I know that chemo can cause new cancers, and that may be their concern, but really it does look follicular in nature to me. (trying to sound doctorish)

The bed sore is still there. It's not getting better, but it's not getting worse. Jim was able to sleep on his side last night, something he has not been able to do for months.

He is still neutropenic. And today he needs to get more platelets.

I had told Jim that I thought they changed him from oxycontin to methadone because they thought he was addicted, and based on our 1 min discussin with the doctor today, because he is responding to this chemo, this is what the doctor said.

"It's obvious that the pain is no longer from the cancer, and because you have been on pain medicine for so long, your body is obviously addicted to it by now,(no kidding) and that's why we changed the medicine to methadone. (another point for me...big deal) AGAIN, I told them of this starting with great pain, and the first CT scan showed the lymph node was 1.5 cm. And Jim's only gotten off pain medicine when the tumor had shrunk all the way down. So....I think we are going to have a pain medicine battle going on, because they just can't "hear" us. I just hope they don't want a CT scan.

Junie: Thanks for Jesus in a package. :)

Bill: I did say something to the Lodge about no nativity scene. I even volunteered to buy them one. I have not heard from them.

Kelly: Jim LOVES the pj's. He says they are the best pj's he's ever had, and he has them on now. I was looking at Katlyn's pics, as he was opening up the box. She is so beautiful. My goodness. Stunning, really.

Sister: Thanks for letting me vent and taking the time to listen to a crazy woman. And the Chicago Tribune crossword puzzle. It's on his lap with 3 answers. ;)

Thanks for the cards and such, folks. I think he liked getting the mail.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found a place to stay...I didn't think the hospital was going to be a good fit. Keep hanging in there and know that even if people aren't responding, they're still checking in, and, more importantly, praying for you and Jim.

Much love,
K

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Dolly,

I have been reading the blog and praying daily for you and Uncle Jim. I don't know if I am posting right - I have never done this before. I just wanted to encourage you guys, as a chronic pain doctor, methadone is a very good pain medication. Just as powerful as oxycontin or morphine. It takes a day or two to build up in your system, but if they have Uncle Jim on enough of it (the correct dose considering how much of the other he was on,) it should help him. It often helps to switch narcotics - makes them more effective. Methadone is a narcotic - just like the others, but a little smoother, and it has an additional action in the central nervous system that can make it work even better than others. Like all meds, not everyone reacts well to it, but it may be ok to give it a chance. If it is not working, they may just need to increase the dose. God bless!! Praying that God holds you both in the hollow of His hand...

Mary

k2shine said...

Good Friday morning to you both.
Keep doing that puzzle cause I will send out Sundays and that has answers to check. With Jim feeling better its something I know the 2 of you do together.
Like I told you everything here is going fine at your house, we only did the GE perks once still have 5gal in the shed left.It's a Christa day for me today and I've singing your honeybee song and she gets all smiley and giggly.
I thank the Lord for the peacefulness the 2 of you have at this moment and pray that it only gets better. Much love to you both and we Miss you like the dickens.