Monday, November 24, 2008

Not leaving today

Well, we're not leaving today. The docs came in (yes, I was there, and it wasn't that scary) and they wanted to give Jim another CT scan and sonogram.

Last night the nurse came in with a Lasix shot, and Jim said no, cause he was afraid that it would wake Larry up. He wanted it in the morning. The nurse wrote in the file that he refused it, so they wouldn't give it to him in the morning, because the order was cancelled. Sigh. Do I have to live there? The oxy has his mind a bit clogged. So, before they give him any Lasix, they want to give him the scans. WITH NO CONTRAST. I told Jim. "Make sure you know they don't give you any contrast." So Jim goes down there, with his 2 mm shot of dilauded to help him bear the table and he fights with them for 20 mins about the contrast. They call the nurse and the nurse says to give it to him, and he refused the test until they contacted the team. The team confirmed, no IV or oral contrast. That hurdle over.

Now the sonogram. So, I still don't know when we'll be leaving. I guess it depends on what those tests reveal. Jim's gout is feeling better in his foot. Did I mention his gout flared up? It did.

Now, we have to get rid of the now about 20 pounds of fluid in his abdomen.

Interestingly enough, his LDH numbers are normal. Low normal. This is not HDL, cholesterol, but LDH lactodehydrogenase (sounds like margerine) This has always been very very high on Jim. People with high LDH usually do NOT respond to chemo cures for their cancer, compared to people with normal LDH. (I heard the docs commenting on it, and I went back and checked him previous levels over the past year--yeah, I brought Jim's entire files with me--and they were very high in January, May and July. Now Jim's is normal. That was the blood test on the 20th. I would be very interested in seeing what they were prior to the UNC-01. People this might mean NOTHING. I'm just grasping. It will help me get through the next load of laundry thinking of something potentially positive.

Okay, time for whites, and then it's back to the hopt. I'll let you know anything later.

US

7 comments:

Judy said...

I have sent the information you have requested! I don't know how you handled this yucky cold/flu. Tonight with any energy I have left, I will attempt to find other ways to cook hotdogs, maybe hotdog soup...
We are praying for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes anything not bad becomes just as welcome as good. Just keeping up with all the progress... thinking and praying for you both, and hoping for plenty of hot showers to come.

Kelly

mary jo said...

I've been listening to your wonderful worship cd this afternoon Dol. I know the Lord has this scripture for you today. One you are very familiar with but God makes it new again when He speaks it to us in response to our heartfelt cryings and yearnings. "Is43--"When you pass through the waters I will be with You and through the rivers they shall not overflow thee. When you walk through the fire you shall not be burned;neither shall the flame enkindle upon thee for I am the Lord your God the Holy One of Israel,Your savior.I gave Egypt for your ransom Cush and Seba in your stead.Since you are precious and honored in my sight and because I love you I will give men in exchange for you and people in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid I am with you...MJB

Unknown said...

Judy:

Hotdog soup, huh? Well, what a shame I wasn't invited to your house for thanksgiving dinner. Tee hee hee.

Anonymous Kelly, is this my neice or Mrs. Martin? Thanks for the prayer.

MJ: Glad you are inenjoying the tape and thanks for the reminder. :)

Unknown said...

getting in sideways.

Anonymous said...

Kelly as in, Kelly & Katelyn :-) (&Donny too)

Judy said...

who told you we were having turkey dogs for Thanksgiving? You can't trust anyone these days....