Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I am thankful that I still have my Jumbo.

I am also thankful that Tom and Judy sacrificed their special time with their family to come and spend Thanksgiving for us. I needed them to be here badly because Jim was so bad.

Today, however, Jim is doing much better. What a difference a day makes...or a bag of poison.
He has not complained of pain once. He has gone to the bathroom in all ways. He has urinated more in the past 24 hours, than he has in the last 5 days. He has gained over 23 pounds of water, so hopefully he'll start to drop it again.

I found out that they took him off celebrex, which caused him to go into great pain. Okay, let me back up and just say this and get it off my chest. They believe the trial was not working for lots of reasons, and they were probably right. But I wasn't sure. And they weren't either, and they felt they had to do something. And they didn't want to do lasix....hard the kidney. Well, so is chemo, but they are the docs and we just have to trust and the best of the best is here, sooo...I think the main thing is this. I have not grieved the loss of the UCN-01 trail "not working." I have to let it go, but I am having the hardest time. And one of the main reasons is it has cured soooooooo many with the same kind of cancer. 5 years clean. And counting the radiation and UCN01, Jim has had 6 treatments, 9 counting, alternatives, and NOTHING has worked, and I don't have any hope left. So, Tom and Judy coming has helped me in this too. Not that I have more hope, but to just help me process all of this.

I would have done whatever Jim wanted. The docs saying that they wouldn't do this just to give Jim 2 months, helped me be okay with it. But me, nah, UCn-01 was what I thought would do the trick. And it was so gentle on the body compared to chemo and stem cell. Oh well.

I just wanted to tell you all of that and to let you know that Jim at least is doing better on the new chemo, or at least the prednisone has kicked in. He's doing weird things like blowing on cobwebs and seeing black frogs, and sewing, and....from all the narcotics. But he's better, eating, etc. He still needs lots of prayers and such.

Well, look at that. No posts all day. Tom and Judy leave, and I continue to talk talk talk....I noticed that. 10 to 15 hours sitting at the hospital day in day out can make you nuts. Thank you T & J for bringing some sanity to my day, this holiday, and your love, all of your love, that helps my soul.

I love you all. Jim does too, but he doesn't know right now because he's got to go and get the wood????

Oh, quickly. Jim is on a special bed because of bed sores, and it can vibrate and even pulsate the lung area, well he had me turn the vibration up up UP and do all kinds of things. At one point, he started shaking like he was having a heart attack. He did it so well, we started to get scared and I had to point blank ask if he was faking, which he was. But poetically (unfortunately) the vibration , while it didn't make him have a heart attack, it made him sick, and he lost his Thanksgiving dinner. Even, sick, he's such a turkey.

Bad pun, huh?

Love you guyses
Jim and Dolly
And
Tom and Judy, too

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Dearest Friend, "Happy Thanksgiving"! I missed hearing from you this morning and then we left for the day so I didn't know how you were doing. It is so good to hear that the chemo has kicked in and helped the pain etc. We will continue to pray non-stop.
Well, everyone is waiting on me so that we can watch, "Miracle on 34th Street. It seems to be a Thanksgiving tradition for us.
I love you! It makes my day to hear from you. I'm so glad you have Tom and Judy. thank them for me please!
Love you so mcuh
Rach

mary jo said...

Happy Thanksgiving loved ones. We are so thankful again for Tand J . Yeah. I am wiped out. I'll be praying. I read your blog to Jess and she laughed about Jim's silliness from the drugs. We love him and yes he is a big turkey. MJB and JB--I'm reading ps40v.17 "But I am poor and needy:yet the Lord thinketh upon me;Thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, o my God". I love that He "thinketh upon me" and you guys--I need to know that and you do too. XOXOXO